Simple changes to your daily routine to help prevent back pain
Research for the British Chiropractic Association* revealed that 71% of those suffering with back pain have been doing so for up to 10 years and yet, surprisingly, many admit to not taking proactive measures to take care of their backs.
In fact, even though nearly one third (29%) of those surveyed admitted that they had been unable to work due to their back pain, 40% said that they have never done anything to actively protect their backs.
A few simple steps to try and help prevent back pain
At Shoreham Chiropractic Clinic we believe that prevention is better than cure and so we want to encourage everyone to incorporate a few simple steps into their daily routine to help prevent back and neck pain before it causes longer term problems.
For example, simply ensuring you take regular breaks when sitting for long periods of time, or walking regularly can have very positive effect on your back. So, how can we battle back pain before it becomes a problem?
Here are some top tips to help people keep back pain at bay:
- No more slouching…. we may have to spend time sitting at a desk but improving our posture while doing it can make a big difference. Try relaxing when sitting in your seat, with your bottom against the seat back and your shoulder blades touching the back rest of the chair. Try to ensure that your hips are higher than your knees. Take a look at some more of our office desk posture tips
- Get up, stand up…. try and reduce the loads on your back by not sitting for more than 20 to 30 minutes at a time. Simply stand up and stretch, change position and walk around a little. If getting away from your desk isn’t so easy then take time to gently massage the back of your head and neck as you relax your stomach region with slow easy breathing. This will help to improve posture and reduce back pain by promoting balance, strength and flexibility in the spine.
- Extend your walking… adding just a few minutes extra walking to your daily routine could be of benefit. For example, walk to the shops instead of driving; try walking a little faster to boost the exercise benefit; take the stairs instead of the lift.
- Drink up… keeping your body hydrated is important so why not try drinking water instead of tea or coffee.
Also take a look at out top tips for office workers help sheet.
Free posture & spine check
If you are suffering from back or neck pain or would like a free posture and spine check, call us on 01273 461155 to arrange a free 15-minute introductory consultation with our team of qualified and experienced Shoreham chiropractors.
The Clinic is situated in Ham Road Shoreham, which is close to the bus stops and rail station to Lancing and Southwick.
Find out more about our Shoreham chiropractic care»
* Source: The research was carried out between: 07/01/2015 and 20/01/2015. Sample: 2,127 UK adults aged 18 – 65 on behalf of the British Chiropractic Association.